Visualisation to your Shadow Animal
1. Find a quite place that isn't too bright, and slow your breathing down.
Focus on breathing deeply into your gut, and also breathing out
slowly. Focus on this and relaxing your body, particularly your shoulders,
feet, forehead and muscles. Some people find it helps to imagine stress
leaving them on each exhale.
2. Imagine that you are in a clearing. You can feel sunlight on your skin
In this clearing there is a black bowl of water. You sit in front of it.
You look down and see stones with Y and N carved onto them. You ask the bowl
'am I ready to meet a shadow guide?'
3. If you receive an 'N', simply recharge your body in the clearing and
then quietly leave. If you receive a 'Y' stand and see a path open up in
your clearing. It may be a shadowy path, a bright path, fringed with trees
or something else.
4. Before you walk down the path, imagine a gentle, warm and
comforting light come and fall around you like a cloak. It protects
all of you, and reminds you that you cannot be seriously harmed or hurt
in your visualisation, and that you are connected to the divine. If you
like, ask for the protection from particular deities or other animals that
might help you.
5. Walk down the path that appeared into another clearing.
Sit down and patiently wait, respectfully, for the shadow animal to appear.
6. When it appears, school any irrational responses as best as you can
and remember to be respectful. Ask it any questions you may have, or wait
for it to speak to you. You may consider questions like 'why do I fear you?'
'what do you have to teach me?' 'will you help me overcome my dislike of you?'
etc. The animal may reply in the language you speak, or it may reply in an obscure
way through body language, smell, sound or something else. Be patient, and if you are
confused, don't be afraid to ask for clarity.
7. Take your time with the animal, and then once you feel finished,
or you feel the animal has 'finished' with you, respectfully and humbly
thank it for its presence.
8. Walk away from the clearing, back into the clearing with the bowl.
Sit down facing away from the path, and focus on your breathing, and
the feel of your surroundings.
9. When you feel ready, open your eyes and write down your experiences
and thoughts, and any questions you might have for later.
10. You can do this meditation whenever you want, your animal/s might not
always be willing to meet with you though. Be patient and remember that
time is not your enemy.